Organized and supervised teaching has proved to be the most effective way of providing education and is any day better than self-taught lessons. The introduction of technology in education has made the process even better as the learners can now have access to teachers without them being physically present.
Virtual Classroom Software provides a learning platform supporting educational activities and interaction between educators and learners. It makes remote learning easy and accessible with the help of a plethora of integrated tools.
A report by World Economic Forum states that“Even before COVID-19, there was already high growth and adoption in education technology, with global ed-tech investments reaching US$18.66 billion in 2019 and the overall market for online education projected to reach $350 Billion by 2025. Whether it is language apps, virtual tutoring, video conferencing tools, or online learning software, there has been a significant surge in usage since COVID-19.”
After the covid-19 pandemic, the demand for virtual classrooms has increased, and more and more companies are coming up with their own platforms. Hence, choosing the right option becomes difficult for a school leader as there are many options available.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right Virtual Classroom LMS for your School:
1. Ease of Access
One of the most important factors in choosing a Virtual Classroom LMS is its accessibility. The software should be easy to use and navigate for both educators and learners as most of them come from a non-technical background.
Choose an intuitive solution that makes the process comfortable and hassle-free.
2. Video Conferencing
Video conferencing is an important aspect of remote learning. It is important for educators to see their students on-screen and vice-versa.
There are many external tools and apps providing video chats, but it is better to go for software that has video conferencing integrated with the LMS as it is easier to manage.
3. Interactive Features
Interaction and engagement are crucial for any learning environment and a virtual classroom is no exception. With cut-throat competition in the market, companies are coming up with various features to help make the learning experience even more interactive:
- Screen Sharing: Instructors can share slides, docs, or any browser window to make the class more engaging. Alternatively, the students can also share their screens to display any report or project they worked on.
- Status Indicators: Many platforms are providing features where students can raise hands, hit the agree/disagree button, and online status indicators.
- Shared Whiteboard: A shared whiteboard allows the instructors and students to draw, write, or share content. The instructor can conduct exercises that students have to solve using the whiteboard, making the class interactive and engaging.
- Polls: The instructor can create polls where students can choose from single or multiple answers
- Content Sharing: Content sharing features allow instructors to share content and or assignments to students which in turn the students can submit after completion.
4. Multiple Device Support
Not all students/educators have access to a computer and it becomes important for the school leaders to choose software that offers support on mobiles and tablets as well in order to conduct the classes seamlessly.
5. Instant Communication Tools
In any learning environment, communication is very essential. Various platforms have come up with tools wherein students can interact with the instructor in between the lecture and ask questions regarding the lessons being taught.
Chat boxes can be used for both group and individual messaging and it gives a chance to the instructor to communicate with the students on a personal level.
6. Participants Allowed
Different platforms have different limits for the number of participants allowed per session or per class. It is important for the school leader to identify the needs as per the class strength and choose the platform that suits them best.