Not surprisingly, I’m running behind posting my review:ed webcasts with Kirsten Winkler. In fact, we’re recording another in a couple of days. That being said, both of these, despite being “week-in-review” style shows, still have plenty of relevance and a fair preview of the show we’re doing Friday (they generally post on review:ed on Sunday and will usually be reposted here on the WizIQ blog and ZDNet no later than Monday). Have I mentioned, by the way, that I’m going to be a regular co-host on the program? I guess I better get on the ball re-posting, repurposing, and retweeting then.
Both posts hit on tablets and I have to admit that I’m eagerly anticipating Apple’s education announcement on the 19th; I’m afraid that eagerness reared its head on both of the shows below. Anyway, for the (almost) latest on ed tech in the news, check out the videos below or follow the links to download podcasts. Kirsten and I had every intention of keeping these a little shorter, but when you get the two of us talking shop, well, let’s just say that we have a lot to chat about. Enjoy and stop back soon or head over to Edukwest to hear more!
- [02:34] Coursekit raises $5 million for free Learning Management System
- [06:15] Moodle as CMS
- [09:42] What’s the most interesting to focus on as edtech writer this year?
- [12:30] Apple event about textbooks?
- [20:20] Classpad – Indian Tablet with Integrated AI to rate Students starting at $140 USD
- [25:19] Aakash hits 1.4 million preorders
- [28:50] Rumor: Google building $199 7-inch Nexus Tablet with ICS
- [34:43] Kids like 7 inch tablet better
- [40:30] Barnes & Noble Mulls Splitting Nook Business And Selling “Dead Tree” Publishing Company
- [44:20] Vi Hart, Khan Academy’s newest faculty member
Source: Hack Education
Hacking: the new literacy?
- [01:42] Mayor Bloomberg signing up for CodeYear
- [05:42] CodeRacer – a Game to teach how to build a Website
- [09:36] Hacker Apprenticeships & Hackruiter
Source: The Atlantic | TechCrunch
- [13:37] OLPC XO-3 Tablet
Source: The Verge
- Marvell Smile Plug Micro Cloud
Source: Market Watch
- Two new Classmate PCs
Source: Engadget | Engadget
- [23:08] XBox Kinnect for Windows
- [29:57] Hewlett Foundation Price for Automated Scoring
Source: Hewlett Foundation
- [35:39] Virtual Charter Schools behind State Standards
- [42:28] The difference between strong and weak Teachers
- [48:37] Apple Education Event January 19th
- [51:20] Free Nook with NYTimes Subscription
Source: Barnes & Noble
- [52:50] E-Textbooks saved many Students only $1
- [55:39] AcademicPub adds new Partners
In other News