Second Life MOOC on WizIQ
Second Life MOOC on WizIQ began in 2014 as an annual event in the month of April. SLMOOC 15 (click here to access the course will continue until April 30, 2015 on WizIQ, Second Life, and Moodle for Teachers learning environments. The focus of the MOOC is on connecting online for collaborative learning and teaching around the world through Second Life. The live presentations will include the speakers’ reflective process on teaching and learning in fully online and blended learning formats.
There will be 3 learning areas: WizIQ course area, Moodle for Teachers and Second Life. The live online sessions and recordings to watch and download, tutorials and content (download and view) (course schedule) and ongoing discussions (coursefeed) will be available in the WizIQ course area. In addition, participants will be able to access Moodle for Teachers to submit their reflections by sharing the links of their blogs so they can qualify for a certificate of completion at the end of the MOOC. It’s all about socially engaging everyone so participants are required to share their blog posts on Facebook, Twitter, Scoopit, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and on other social networks.
Learning Areas Video Tutorials
Second Life Video Tutorials
You will get ongoing support from the organizers of the MOOC, from the course feed on the course, and from firstname.lastname@example.org Participants will be able to ask questions in advance and throughout the course in the courseware in the WizIQ course area. The live online classes will be recorded for future reference, so don’t worry if you cannot attend or if you’d like to review the content.
The workload for the MOOC includes participating or viewing the recordings of the live sessions and developing a reflective artifact in the form of a blog, Smore, wiki, google drive doc, website, web page on a website and sharing the links in their social networks as a way to sustain the information and learning experiences.
Learning is Fun
SLMOOC15 models learning while having fun. There are lots of dancing and other fun activities for everyone.
Certificates of Completion
Participants, who are active on the coursefeed (discussions), attend all and/or watch the recordings of all the sessions, reflect and write about the live sessions and share the link of their activities to their blog, wiki, Twitter #SLMOOC15, Scoopit (SLMOOC15 topic), Pinterest (SLMOOC15 Board), Facebook and other social networks) will be eligible for a certificate of completion. This aspect of the MOOC is ongoing, but time-based. Participants will add the links to their blogs posts in the MOOC area on WizIQ. The due date for the reflective practice is May 1, 2015.
Participants, who complete the tasks set out for SL MOOC15 will be awarded with a certificate of completion. You will need to join the Moodle course area to qualify. The presenters will receive a certificate for presenting.
- Experience Life in Second Life
- Avatars will Present about their Lives in Second Life
- Learn how to Teach in Second Life
- Get Acquainted with Learning Environments in SL
Team of Facilitators
The MOOC and the live online classes is organized and coordinated by Drs. Nellie Deutsch and Nancy Zingrone, Tom Hodgers, and Kip Boahn.
You need to create an account on WizIQ as a teacher or learner. It’s up to you, but you may wish to teach so I would start off as a teacher. Then you need to set your profile to your preferred timezone. Once you have configured your timezone, you’ll be able to view the time in your zone. Just click on the click to test it out. For support, use email@example.com
- Opening Ceremony on Monday, April 6, 2015
- An Introduction to Education in Virtual Worlds on Tuesday, April 7, 2015
- Basic Second Life Skills Workshop on Wednesday, April 8, 2015
- Minecraft in Teaching with Dr. Lee Graham on Thursday, April 9, 2015
- Lynne Berrett and the Amazing Folks at Creative Elders on Saturday, April 11, 2015
- Basic Second Life Skills Workshop #2 on Sunday, April 12
- Roseanne and Bob Vojtek aka Roxie Neiro and B. J. Gearbox on Friday, April 17, 2015
- VIRTLANTIS: A Free Virtual World Language Learning Resource and Community of Practice in SL & Avination on Saturday, April 18, 2015
- Teaching Skills for Second Life Workshop on Monday, April 20, 2015
- Virtual Fireside Chat with the ISTE Double-Veep on Wednesday, April 22, 2015
- Virtual Networking and Online Exhibitions with VSTE on Saturday, April 25, 2015
- Discussion at the SLMOOC15 Headquarters in Second Life: Taking the Pulse of the In-world Attendees on Monday, April 28, 2015
- Closing Ceremony Party in Second Life on Thursday, April 30, 2015
Subscribe to the Youtube playlist for the Second Life MOOC and watch some of the participants’ videos and digital artifacts.